Properly installing Warmquest’s radiant heating products ensures optimal roof deicing, snow melting, or floor warming.
Our installation manager, Joe Leyva, has shared some of his insights to help those installing our systems. This information is intended as a supplement to the manuals and other information provided by the manufacturer.
Part 1 of this post can be found here.
Install Activation Device and Sensors
Proper placement of the activation device and any sensors that go with it will play an important part in the successful operation of any electrical radiant heating system. Depending on the application, sensors should be installed as followed:
- Aerial mounted snow sensors should be place in a location that is free of obstructions and in the path of incoming snow storms where they can sense moisture and temperature.
- Pavement mounted sensors should be located inside the area to be heated, away from any obstructions that would prevent it from being exposed to falling snow, and should not be directly placed on heating elements.
- For interior applications the thermostat should be located where it will correctly read the temperature of the heated area.
- If there is a floor sensor with the thermostat, place the sensor head between the runs of heating element to get an accurate and even temperature reading of the floor.
Cover and Retest
Once the heating element is covered (concrete, asphalt, shingles, hardwood flooring, tile, etc.) another element test should be performed. Compare the second test with the first test to verify that the numbers match. If there are discrepancies, you will need to check the heating element for damage or other possible causes for abnormal readings.
Install the control units or relay panels in the area chosen by the client.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and wiring diagrams for making connections.
- Test the activation device to ensure it will correctly activate and deactivate the system.
- Perform the final start up tests and post installation tests and record these for future reference and warranty.
- After the electrical radiant heating system is completely installed and operating correctly, meet with the client to review and answer any questions about the operation of the system.
For videos, manuals, and more on installing Warmquest’s products, check out the Installation Resources section of our site.